As part of the new Design and Technology curriculum pupils aged 5 – 14 are required to participate in practical cooking sessions at school on a regular basis.
In Key Stage 1 pupils should be taught:
- To use the basic principles of a healthy and varied diet to prepare dishes
- Understand where food comes from.
At Key stage 2 pupils should be taught:
- To understand and apply the principles of a healthy and varied diet
- To prepare and cook a variety of predominantly savoury dishes using a range of cooking techniques
- To understand seasonality, and know where and how a variety of ingredients are grown, reared, caught and processed.